10 MUST READ books to enjoy before going to sleep
There’s nothing like curling up in bed with a good book. It feels a little bit indulgent – and it may be just the thing to settle you down before you sleep.
Reading a book can be relaxing because it takes your mind off ‘everyday worries’. A great book of fiction lets you escape into another world, while an interesting piece of non-fiction can teach you how to de-stress.
Of course, the ‘perfect read’ varies from person to person. Just like some people prefer a soft mattress, and others a firm; some people find that reading a book that’s soothing helps them snooze, others prefer something that ‘fires up’ the brain just in time for sweet dreams...
SleepX finds these ten bestsellers worth tucking into before bedtime:
- Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty – written by one of Australia’s best-selling authors, the story is about a ten-day retreat at a boutique health-and-wellness resort that promises healing and transformation.
- The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris is based on a true story. It’s full of hope and love about an Auschwitz-Birkenau tattooist and the woman he loved.
- A Month of Sundays by Liz Byrski tells the tale of a group of women who, after being part of an online book club for 10 years – finally meet.
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows is described as “a moving tale of post-war friendship, love and books.”
- Still Me by bestselling author Jojo Moyes, is about a woman who moves to New York for love and is thrown into a world of ‘high society’.
- 12 Rules for Life written by clinical psychologist Jordan B. Peterson, “combines ancient wisdom with decades of experience to provide twelve profound and challenging principles for how to live a meaningful life.”
- Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur is a book of poems. It takes you on a journey of “the most bitter moments in life and finds sweetness in them because there is sweetness everywhere if you are just willing to look.”
- Mythos: A Retelling of the Myths of Ancient Greece is by comedian and wordsmith Stephen Fry. Described as “spellbinding, informative and moving”, the book retells great tales from the ancient past.
- Mindfulness: a practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world by Mark Williams and Danny Penman, is described as a ‘life-changing’ book. It includes a set of simple yet powerful practices to help break the cycle of anxiety, stress, unhappiness and exhaustion.
- Don't Sweat the Small Stuff by Richard Carlson “reveals ways to calm down in the midst of your hurried, stress-filled life.”
Avoid using an e-reader or smartphone before bed
Before you tuck into your favourite book on your electronic device, we must warn you. Viewing any light-emitting technology at bedtime can disrupt your sleeping patterns.
Experts suggest you should keep bedtime ‘technology-free’. You can read more about this in one of our earlier blogs.